Char-Grilled Mushroom Steaks on the Braai
Perfect for No-Meat-Monday, these delicious and simple char-grilled mushroom steaks are great as a main meal, or as a side dish for the perfect family braai.
- 6 large Denny large brown mushrooms (or King Oysters - thickly sliced)
- 60ml Soy Sauce
- 5ml Hickory Liguid Smoke (optional)
- 1 tsp smoked Maldon salt
- 1Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Minced or Finely Chopped Garlic
Toppings for Serving
- 125 mil Feta Cheese
- 1 Tbsp Freshly Chopped Chives
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- Clean the brown mushrooms by rinsing, removing the stems and patting dry.
- Make the marinade by adding all ingredients to a small mixing bowl and dropping the mushrooms into the marinate for 20-30 minutes. Turn frequently to ensure they are evenly coated.
- The liquid smoke is optional but adds a lovely rich flavour to the marinade. This is readily available from major retailers like Woolworths or speciality deli's.
- Heat the braai grill to a medium heat, and brush lightly with olive oil, or a sprayable non-stick product.
- Take the mushrooms from the marinade and allow excess marinade to drip off before placing face down on the grill.
- Grill over medium direct heat for 4-5 minutes before flipping for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Brush frequently with the marinade.
- Top with crumbed feta, freshly chopped chives and a crack of black pepper.
- Play with the marinade flavours as you try this recipe. Try adding honey and brown sugar for a beautiful caramelised finish, or sweet chilli sauce for some tang.
- Mushrooms really are a delicious and simple meal that compliment almost everything in your pantry.
The Great Food Trip https://thegreatfoodtrip.com/